Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A Whale Of A Time Or What I Would Do In Ireland

Dear friends,

I havent been anywhere recently but that does not mean that I am not entitled to dream. A dream is a wish your heart makes and my heart, ever since I was a wee lass, was very much stuck up with Ireland. I always wanted to visit UK and Ireland and I managed to chop one off the list. Hopefully I will, one day, manage to kill the other as well :) but until then I was thinking to share with you what I would do there. Dont think they were numbered just to be in a specific order, I would do all at once ;)  so dont get fooled by that!
* The Cliffs of Moher - I have seen them in so many movies and I pictures myself there so many times, with the wind in my hair and the sound of water beneath me. Of course it would not be all that romantic as I am very much aware it would be bloody cold and the small wind might actually transform in the kind of howl that even though you have your hair tight it would tangle and you would end up having a hairnet out of your own hair... Apparently it is the most famous and breathtaking part of Ireland’s craggy west coastline is the Cliffs of Moher area, which feature some of the most breathtaking views on the entire island. The Cliffs stretch for almost 5 miles and rise up to 702 feet over the waters of the Atlantic ocean. The amazing view from the Cliffs includes the Aran Islands, Galway Bay, The Twelve Pins and the Maum Turk Mountains. The landscape and seascape of the Cliffs of Moher have, for centuries, welcomed a multitude of visitors; close to 1 million people per year now travel to this iconic location.
* The Giants Causeway - Oh, yes! Oh, yes, please! I would run there with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back! It has always caused weird sentiments stirring and I think I would sit there a whole full day, wondering how God managed to create such a beauty! Folklore tells us that  an Irish giant named Finn MacCool once lived in the area, and from across the sea he could see a Scottish giant, Benandonner, his rival, whom he had never met. Finn challenged Benandonner to come to Ireland to fight. Because no boat was big enough to carry the giant, Finn built a causeway of stones in the water so that Benandonner would be able to make it across. When Finn realized the Scottish giant was far bigger than he had expected, he fled to the hills where his wife disguised him as a baby. This move foxed Bennadonner because he thought that if the child was that big, the father would be even bigger. Benandonner fled back to the Scotland, ripping up the causeway behind him, so that Finn wouldn’t be able to follow him. In truth, Giant’s Causeway was created by a volcanic eruption 60 million years ago – an interesting fact, but the Finn MacCool myth is a bit more fun to believe.
* The Guinness Storehouse - well I think this one is obvious! It is pretty much compulsory for any self-respecting tourist in Irelands capital. Or, at the very least, it should be.The Guinness Storehouse tells the story of how Guinness is made and how this famous drink came to be one of Irelands best-known exports. It is in an awesome building: its core is in the shape of a giant pint glass, and consists of seven floors. Now, tell you the truth, I am not much of a drinker but I would not mind getting lost there ;)) 
And of course I would stay in Dublin and just sit in a pub house, buy a Guinness or a Kilkenny, read a book and listen to the live gigs. Hey! Apparently every bar has one band playing local music and I surely know that would warm my soul even better than a plate of haggis. How about you lads and lasses? Have you ever been to Ireland? If so, what would you also recommend? :)  And have you ever been to the above mentioned places? I would love to hear what you would have to say :) 

Yours truly,
A LadyBug Very Much In Love With Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment